When you think of the Android beta program, until this year it was assumed to just mean a beta program for the next version of Android. For the first time this year, Google changed that by offering a beta program for its next big quarterly Android release on the current stable version of Android, which happens to be Android 12. With yesterday’s release of the June update and the Pixel Feature Drop , members of this Android 12 quarterly beta program can now update from beta to stability.
In a reddit post on the Android_Beta subreddit, Google shared details about how the Android 12 stable update for June should work for those who have been running the beta builds.
Android 12 release date
After releasing five beta versions of Android 12, Google finally released the stable version of Android 12 after concluding the Pixel 6 event in October. For now, the update is only available for Google Pixel devices up to Google Pixel 3 and a bunch of high-end devices from different smartphone manufacturers. Many smartphone manufacturers like Oppo, Xiaomi, OnePlus, Realme have prepared skins based on Android-12 and have a schedule for the release of Android 12 for their respective devices.
What happened to the names of the desserts?
Although early versions of Android didn’t have a code name, you’ll remember that for a long time each version of Android was known as a dessert:
- Cupcake ( Android 1.5)
- Donut (Android 1.6)
- Eclair (Android 2.0 – 2.1)
- Froyo (Android 2.2 – 2.2.3)
- Gingerbread ( Android 2.3 – 2.3. 7)
- Honeycomb (Android 3.0 – 3.2.6)
- Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0 – 4.0.4)
- Jelly Bean (Android 4.1 – 4.3.1)
- KitKat (Android 4.4 – 4.4.4)
- Lollipop (Android 5.0 – 5.1.1)
- ) Marshmallow (Android 6.0 – 6.0.1 When will Android 13 be released sed?
Android 13, the next version of the Android 12 operating system, was announced on April 26. Google is currently rolling out the stable version of Android 13 sol or for Pixel phones. The stable version was released on August 15, 2022.
Google Pixel 6 Pro, Pixel 6, Pixel 5a 5G, Pixel 4, Pixel 4a 5G, Pixel 4XL, Pixel 5 and Pixel 5XL will have guaranteed support for Android 13 ; all thanks to Google’s long-term software support.
- The Wear OS update includes the introduction of new tiles, widget-like displays for quick access to information, including favorite contacts and sunrise and sunset times of the sun. It already has tiles for Google Maps to let you access directions to saved places like work and home, and Google Keep to start a new note or list. The company also has an API for third-party developers to take advantage of the Tiles format on Wear OS.